|FLSA StatusNon-Exempt||LocationForsyth, Montana|
|DateMarch 31, 2017||Closing April 14, 2017|
Is responsible for the engineering of all aspects of Range Telephone Central Office Equipment (COE) to include switching, transmission, access, and IP network equipment and systems, Central Office grounding and power systems, building environmental systems to include cooling, heating and alarm monitoring, and all other COE necessary to support the reliable delivery of voice, video, data and wireless communications services. Serves on Range Corporate planning teams and assists in the engineering of Range Corporate Network and COE as requested. Assists in the development of annual capital and expense budgets.
Duties and Responsibilities
Manages the Engineering Department, and is responsible for engineering, planning, and design of projects. Influences all engineering activities, including designing projects to be built in compliance with RUS and company specifications. Consults with Plant Supervisor, Engineering Supervisor, and COE Supervisor on engineering and design. Makes recommendations on long-range engineering plans. Maintains current knowledge of new technologies and systems as they are developed. Interacts primarily with company personnel and vendors, and occasionally with customers. Carries out responsibilities with minimal supervision. Perform other duties as assigned by the supervisory personnel.
• Knowledge of basic electricity and analog and digital telecommunications technology.
• Knowledge of central office technologies, equipment and engineering principles.
• Knowledge of digital switching technology.
• Knowledge of Internet Protocol switching technology.
• Knowledge of communications and data circuit design and engineering principles.
• Knowledge of equipment protection and grounding practices, transmission systems, and subscriber and trunk carrier systems.
• Knowledge of LAN and WAN design technology, configuration, architectures, cablings, software, and hardware, including hubs, routers, servers, switches and associated equipment.
• Knowledge of RUS and Telcordia standards for communications systems engineering.
• Knowledge of NESC and NEC standards.
• Ability to perform network planning for both long range and short term engineering.
• Knowledge of computer hardware and common software applications.
• Knowledge of common desktop and server operating systems (Windows, MS Office Suite, Browsers, Mail Clients).
• Knowledge of (x)DSL technology/services.
• Knowledge of FTTX access technologies to include PON and Active Ethernet
• Knowledge of TCP/IP design protocols
• Knowledge of industry standards for both facilities construction, wiring, cross-connecting and testing practices.
• Ability to maintain required documentation of services, network facilities and equipment.
• Ability to meet scheduled deadlines by working independently or in a team environment.
• Ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and communicate status in a timely manner.
• Ability to prepare necessary documentation for implementation of network and central office projects.
• Skill in written and oral communications.
• Ability to work effectively with others, including co-workers, contractors, and vendors.
• Knowledge of current network and central office testing equipment and methods.
• Skill in operating various office equipment including computer, facsimile, copier, etc.
• Ability to operate software programs, including CAD, database, spreadsheet, and presentation.
• Ability to understand company documents, including maps, work orders, service orders, trouble tickets, etc.
Education and/or Experience
A Bachelor Degree in Electrical Engineering or related field PLUS 2-4 years of experience in a combination of network and central office equipment design, installation, testing and maintenance. NOTE: In absence of a bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, equivalent experience qualifies with 6 years of experience in communications and network engineering, with emphasis on network and central office engineering.
The general work hours for this position are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. This position is subject to emergency callout. This is an exempt position, therefore is not subject to overtime provisions of FLSA. Range Telephone Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.