|DepartmentOutside Plant||SupervisorPlant Manager|
|FLSA StatusNon-Exempt||LocationBroadus, Montana|
|DateJanuary 10, 2018||Closing Open Until Filled|
Install, maintain, and service telephone lines, special circuit lines, broadband services, subscriber carrier systems, cable terminals, protection devices, and customer-owned equipment. May also diagnose and repair trouble in switching equipment, alarm network equipment, wireless systems, standby generators, fiber equipment, voice frequency repeaters, loop extenders, and cable loading systems. Repair and maintain multi-line telephone key systems and PBX’s. Coordinate with other departments on service installations and changes necessary to update billing, facilities, and other company records. Complete all installation and repair-related forms and reports. Locate and splice communications cable. Operate equipment to install aerial or buried cable. Complete on-call shifts when assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Install new service and equipment for subscribers by installing drop wires, underground cable, station protectors, and network interface devices. Wires new systems using appropriate tools.
- Maintain and repair existing services and equipment by using test sets to locate line trouble. Determine necessary repairs which may include repairing or replacing wiring, cable, pedestals, pedestal stubs, station protectors, ground connections, running new wires and replacing jacks, lids and pedestals as needed.
- Ability to use standard and special purpose hand tools, equipment to splice and locate communications cables
- Install concealed telephone wire and other equipment at buildings under construction.
- Works with COE Department to diagnose and repair trouble in switching equipment, carrier systems. Test telephone plant and report unsatisfactory conditions; conduct minor central office repairs.
- Complete all outside plant related forms and reports.
- Maintain generators in service area.
- Maintain and repair multi-line key systems and PBX’s.
- Assist in obtaining easements; abide by RUS and other industry specifications as required.
- Submit sketches and measurements and make staking sheets when assigned.
- Locate copper and/or fiber optic cable when requested.
- Operate equipment to install aerial or buried cable.
- Coordinate with other departments on work projects; coordinate with plant and commercial staff to update records upon job completion.
- Complete on-call shifts when assigned.
- Interface with the public and customers in a professional manner.
- Perform other related duties as assigned by management*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Other Duties and Responsibilities
- Clean and maintain buildings and grounds in service area, including cleaning and maintaining batteries, cutting weeds, etc. Keep company vehicle and tools clean and maintained.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- Knowledge of basic electronics, specification sheets and circuit diagrams
- Knowledge of basic broadband and home network technology and installation, including but not limited to routers, modems, internet connectivity, Wi-Fi technology and end user device connectivity
- Knowledge of telecommunications plant equipment operations and maintenance
- Knowledge of local exchange distribution network facilities
- Knowledge of RUS practices and standards
- Knowledge of test, switching and electronic equipment and all types of cable
- Knowledge of voice communications and digital technology
- Knowledge of communication industry terms
- Knowledge of company products, services, policies and procedures
- Skill & Ability to operate service equipment (i.e. trencher, backhoe, truck, cable locator, faultfinding equipment) including various hand tools and testing equipment
- Skill & ability to climb poles and/or communications towers
- Skill in reading cable records, staking sheets, specifications, circuit diagrams, and meters
- Skill and Ability to evaluate, test and repair sophisticated equipment
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as maps, staking sheets, and operating and maintenance instruction manuals
- Ability to type and use a computer and calculator.
- Ability to communicate with co-workers and various business contacts in a professional and courteous manner
- Ability to assume rigorous physical workload
Education and/or Experience
H. S. diploma or equivalent PLUS two-years of Electronics Technology schooling or equivalent work experience. Experience in the installation and maintenance of outside plant and associated electronics preferred.
The general work hours for this position are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. Subject to on-call shifts, and call out. Overtime will be required on occasion. This is a Non-Exempt position, subject to the overtime provisions of FLSA.