|DepartmentCentral Office||SupervisorOUTSIDE PLANT SUPERVISOR|
|FLSA StatusNon-Exempt||LocationForsyth, WY|
|DateJuly 15, 2019||Closing Open Until Filled|
Installs, maintains, and tests all types of central office and associated facilities such as remote switching units, digital switching and transmission equipment, soft switching, broadband/IP Technology, central office grounding and protection, microwave, T-carrier and/or lightwave systems for trunking, central office power systems and subscriber and trunk carrier systems. Special circuit services deployment and related processes and technology; Including but not limited to DS0, DS1, DS3, SONET, Ethernet technology, DWDM technology. Install, maintain, and test voice mail and digital cross connect systems. Monitors quality of toll, extended area service (EAS), special circuits and other subscriber carrier facilities. Maintains fiber optic and other communications transmission systems. Responsible for preventing service degradation and ensuring service reliability. Monitors trouble and alarm reports; mitigates and clears troubles; Responsible for Central Office facilities/ equipment records. Performs routine inspections of central office facilities, cabling and power connections.
This position may require extensive travel away from the normal reporting location. One of the main functions of this particular role will be to cover area duties in the absence other techs in the department. This technician will also be asked to assist other technicians with projects. Often, these requirements must be met with short notice.
May perform other functions as assigned by management.*
*These tasks do not meet the Americans With Disabilities Act definition of essential job functions and are usually less than 5% of time spent. However, these tasks still constitute important performance aspects of the job.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Advanced knowledge of concepts, principles and safety practices of communications transmission and data equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of analog and digital/IP/soft switching technology
- Advanced knowledge of central office equipment and DC power Systems
- Knowledge of communication protocols (DWDM, COE, MPLS, SONET, ATM, etc).
- Knowledge of company products and services
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures
- Knowledge of industry regulations
- Advanced skills in installing, repairing, and maintaining central office switching equipment
- Skill in using mechanical and electric power tools and equipment for diagnosing and locating trouble and performing necessary repairs
- Skill in operating various office equipment such as personal computer, various software programs, and telephone systems
- Skill in analytical thinking and problem solving
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as schematics, blueprints, and circuit diagrams
- Ability to pay close attention to detail
- Ability to work independently as well as with others.
Education and/or Experience
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to an associate’s degree in electronics or related field PLUS five years of work experience in Datacom/Central Office/Plant Operations
- Previous experience with some or all of the following is desirable, and may be considered as equivalent experience in absence of a degree: Wireless, VOIP, DLC, xDSL, VoDSL, DWDM, COE, SONET, Fiber Optic Cable technology.
- Driver’s License
The general work hours for this position are 8:00 am – 5:00 pm Monday through Friday. This is a nonexempt position, subject to the overtime provisions of FLSA. This position has an on call/ call out requirement. This position will also require extensive travel, often overnight, throughout the Company’s service area. Range Telephone Cooperative, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity Employer.